I like Mother's Day, it's not fashionable but I think it's nice. It is the only holiday that you can give daggy handmade gifts and get excited about slippers. Here are a few things that I wouldn't turn my nose up at.
- A bunch of hand picked flowers. I just love the image of Pac Man taking Scout to pick flowers for me. It gives me warm fuzzies. It sounds bad but whenever I get store bought flowers I always wonder how much they cost and what cool stuff I could buy with that money. Yes, I'm aware that this is a terrible thing to think
- A list of reasons why you're a fabulous mum. We did this for my mum one year and she blubbered while she read them. We even asked the grandkids and got lovely responses like, "she always has ice cream at her house." Scout is too little but this is a really simple thing to do that most mums would treasure. You could even make a little video of the kiddy interview.
- Something awesomely homemade, preferably with a handprint on it. Who doesn't want homemade stuff from their kids. I really couldn't give two tosses about a chemist greeting card but something that says, "daddy totally crafted with me," makes me want to do a happy dance, in bed wearing new slippers. *I do love super special cards like these ones from Little Paper Lane though.
- Hire a cleaner to scrub the house as a once off. Did I mention that I'm really bloody pregnant? I would love if the floors and the bathrooms were cleaned by someone other than me (who actually knows how to clean properly). This would probably also inspire a happy dance.
- Buy something for someone who actually needs it. I would love to receive an Oxfam card that helps create safe refuge for women who need help or some medical essentials for Midwives in Laos. Good Karma is just about the best thing you can give someone.