Hi there, I made some black and white cross blinds, but more importantly for you, I made a tutorial so you can DIY your own.
I really love the look of black and white kids rooms but I'm not the type of person to shy away from colour so I thought I would just get some statement black and white large items. I found a rug easily enought but soon discovered it's hard to find modern, fun window coverings. For those of you who can sew there are always curtains but for the rest of us, the DIY options are limited.
You will need
1) Lay out your blind on the floor, somewhere it won't get stepped on.
2) Cut a whole heap of tape strips to whatever length you want. My strips were all between 11cm and 13cm. Don't worry about being too exact.
3) Start sticking on your crosses from the bottom right corner, measuring them out as you go so they are roughly evenly spaced. I wasn't too fussy, I actually just used a picture book, (That's Not My Pony - just in case you were curious) to measure out the gap between the crosses so they are spaced evenly.
4) If you get to the end of your first line and there is not enough room for a whole cross just measure the gap as usual and stick the section of the cross that should be there. (like I did above.)
5) Use a big ruler (I used a spirit level) and lay it down where you want the bottom of the next line of crosses to start and, starting from the left side stick down the first cross where you want it.
6) I then left the ruler where it was so I would have a guide of where the bottom of each cross should start then used the same picture book to measure the gaps between the crosses as I stuck them on.
7) Rinse and repeat as many times as you want. It actually looked really cool with just two rows of crosses on it, I could have stopped there but I wanted to do the whole blind. Then the baby woke up so I only did four rows. I love how it looks though.
This is a featured post for Spotlight to celebrate their 40th birthday. They kindly sent me a gift voucher to buy the products for this tutorial from their store. Happy Birthday Spotlight!